Job title: Restoration Coordinator
Posting date: 12/15/22
Closing date: Open until filled; review of applications will begin January 15, 2023
Employment type: Full-time
Location: Saipan, MP 96950
TO APPLY: Please submit, as a single PDF document, a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information for three professional references to Dr. Lyza Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
*Must be a United States citizen or otherwise legally permitted to work in the U.S. to apply.
Johnston Applied Marine Sciences (JAMS) is an independent research and conservation organization based in Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), a U.S. territory located in the western North Pacific Ocean. At JAMS, we are a small but growing team of passionate individuals dedicated to the conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of coral reefs and associated ecosystems. We conduct independent research, actively restore coral populations, and provide scientific support services to local and federal governments and NGOs.
JAMS is on the verge of kick-starting large-scale coral reef restoration on Saipan and seeks to hire a Restoration Coordinator to join our team and help lead these efforts. The Restoration Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director to oversee all aspects of restoration, including nursery management, asexual and sexual coral propagation, outplanting, monitoring, data management, and reporting. They will conduct research and help develop and implement innovative technologies and methodologies to improve the resilience of outplanted coral communities in the face of ongoing climate change. An ideal candidate will be passionate about our mission, experienced in coral reef restoration, have strong leadership skills, and be comfortable living and working in a small island community with a diverse group of people.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate, manage, and implement coral reef restoration activities, including management of our ocean-based coral nursery, coral propagation, outplanting, and monitoring.
- Conduct surveys and assessments of coral reef ecosystems including benthic and fish communities.
- Supervise and mentor restoration staff, interns, and volunteers
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the resilience of restored coral populations
- Communicate and coordinate with local government agencies and other stakeholders
- Manage and analyze data
- Ensure grant deliverables are met on time
- Write project reports
- Develop grant proposals
- Assist with education and outreach activities, including public presentations and content development for social media and other outlets
- Master’s degree in Marine Biology or related field
- Two years of experience in coral reef restoration
- SCUBA certification equivalent to PADI Rescue Diver
- Extensive scientific diving experience
- Experience managing projects and teams
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific writing
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in data management and analysis
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience with in situ coral identification in the Indo-Pacific region
- Experience with photogrammetry using Agisoft Metashape software
- Proficiency in GIS software and applications
- First Aid, CPR, and DAN O 2 Administration certifications
- Small boat handling and trailering experience
$55,000 – $65,000
- Employer sponsored health care
- Paid holidays
- Generous time-off policies
- Partial relocation expenses
Johnston Applied Marine Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, regardless of skin color, national origin, sexual orientation, reproductive status, marital status, gender, gender identity/expression, past or present military service, genetic information, disability status, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be based on organizational needs, job requirements, individual qualifications, and performance.