Position: Marine Science Technician
Application deadline: Feb 1, 2022
Position start date: Feb 15, 2022 (earliest)
Term of employment: 18 months with possibility of extension based on available funding and performance
This is a full-time, nonexempt position at Johnston Applied Marine Sciences (JAMS), based in Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. JAMS is a growing NGO that focuses on the conservation and restoration of coral reef ecosystems. We conduct independent, applied research and provide scientific support services to local and federal governments and other NGOs. We seek to hire a mature individual who works well as part of a small team and is passionate about environmental stewardship and coral reef conservation. The Marine Science Technician will assist project managers and researchers with a variety of tasks in support of our mission. This is an entry level position with ample opportunity for on-the-job training and professional development.
- Assist with all coral reef restoration activities, including maintenance of our ocean-based coral nursery, outplanting, and monitoring.
- Maintain and manage field gear
- Small boat maintenance
- Conduct coral reef ecosystem surveys and assessments.
- Assist with data entry, management, and analysis
- Assist with report and grant writing and the development of publication quality figures.
- Assist with education and outreach activities, including content development for social media and other outlets
- Associate degree from an accredited educational institution
- Ability to swim and be comfortable in the ocean and on small boats
- Willingness to get SCUBA certified on the job
- Willingness to occasionally work odd hours
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, marine science, natural resource management, or related field
- SCUBA certification equivalent or greater to PADI Open Water Diver.
- Scientific diving experience
- Experience conducting biological surveys
- Experience with coral and/or fish identification in the Indo-Pacific
- Experience with data management and statistical analysis
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary of US$22,000 – $28,000 plus benefits, including paid holidays and vacation. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information for two references to Dr. Lyza Johnston at email@example.com. If you prefer to drop application materials at our office in San Jose, Saipan, please call (670) 285-2967 to schedule an appointment. Questions can be sent to Dr. Johnston at the email above.