Job title: Coral Husbandry Specialist
Posting date: 12/15/22
Closing date: Open until filled; review of applications will begin January 15, 2023
Employment type: Full-time
Location: Saipan, MP 96950
TO APPLY: Please submit, preferably as a single PDF document, a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two to three professional references to Dr. Lyza Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
*Must be a United States citizen or otherwise legally permitted to work in the U.S. to apply.
Johnston Applied Marine Sciences (JAMS) is an independent research and conservation organization based in Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), a U.S. territory located in the western North Pacific Ocean. At JAMS, we are a small but growing team of passionate individuals dedicated to the conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of coral reefs and associated ecosystems. We conduct independent research, actively restore coral populations, and provide scientific support services to local and federal governments and NGOs.
In the coming year, JAMS will be building a land-based coral culturing facility on Saipan to support our research and restoration efforts. The facility will support sexual and asexual coral propagation and research focused on improving short and long-term restoration outcomes. We will also be implementing cutting edge technologies to spawn corals ex-situ and culture resultant larvae. We are seeking to hire a Coral Husbandry Specialist to help lead these efforts. The ideal candidate will be passionate about our mission, self-motivated, experienced in the care and husbandry of reef-building corals, and experienced in the design, construction, and maintenance of large reef aquariums and recirculating seawater systems for aquaculture.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the design and construction of a land-based coral culturing and research facility
- Manage daily operations of the coral culturing facility
- Maintain aquarium life-support systems
- Propagate and care for corals in the system
- Keep detailed records on coral stock and system health
- Manage ex-situ coral spawning and larval culturing
- Supervise and mentor staff, student interns, and volunteers working at the facility
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Marine Biology, Zoology, or related field (additional experience may substitute for educational requirement for the right candidate)
- Two years of relevant professional experience, including coral propagation and husbandry
- Experience in the design, construction, and maintenance of land-based aquaculture systems
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to occasionally work outside of normal work hours including nights and weekends
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Research experience
- SCUBA certification equivalent (or greater) to PADI Open Water
- First Aid, CPR, and DAN O2 Administration certifications
$36,000 – $55,000
- Employer sponsored health care
- Paid holidays
- Generous time-off policies
- Partial relocation expenses
Johnston Applied Marine Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, regardless of skin color, national origin, sexual orientation, reproductive status, marital status, gender, gender identity/expression, past or present military service, genetic information, disability status, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be based on organizational needs, job requirements, individual qualifications, and performance.